Principal, Melbourne | BSc(Biochem), LLB(Hons)
Direct +61 3 9288 1596
James is the Managing Director of FPA Patent Attorneys. He specialises in patents for the pharmaceutical and life sciences sectors in Australia and South East Asia. With a background in science and law, he advises owners of rights on how to best protect and extract value from their intellectual property and how to manage issues arising from relevant intellectual property of competitors. He also advises clients on the related areas of confidential information and trade secrets, technology transfer and plant breeder’s rights.
James has actively assisted non-profit research organisations, small start-up companies and large multinationals in their licensing, patent strategy and technology transfer negotiations worldwide for over 25 years. He works with local and global clients to understand their business and assists them develop patent portfolios to maximise their commercial opportunities. He is also actively involved in contentious matters, especially patent opposition proceedings.
- Developing IP assets
- Managing IP budget and asset allocation
- IP acquisition and dispostion around the world
- Local and international IP disputes.
For Australian clients, international management of intellectual property rights is of paramount importance. James advises on strategic creation, management and exploitation of intellectual property rights worldwide.
For clients outside Australia, James brings a detailed knowledge of the Australian and New Zealand pharmaceutical sector and life-sciences markets to provide insightful advice for organisations seeking to protect and exploit their intellectual property in the Australian and New Zealand marketplaces.
Areas of expertise
- Medical Treatments
- Food Technology
- Agribusiness and Agrochemicals
- Plant Breeder’s Rights
- Medical Diagnostics
- Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry), University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), University of Melbourne
- Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
- Fellow: Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Fédération Internationale des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle (International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys - FICPI)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Licensing Executive Society
- James was named as a Managing Intellectual Property IP Star for 2016, 2015 and 2014.
- FPA Patent Attorneys Chemistry and Biotechnology practice was awarded the 2015 AI Intellectual Property Award as: Best Biotechnology IP Matters - Australia.
- In 2015, James was listed in the IAM Patent 1000 Guide as a Leading Patent Practitioner. James was referred to as: assisting pharmaceutical concerns with the conception and execution of global management and exploitation game plans.
- In 2014, James was listed in The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners by Intellectual Asset Management Magazine. The publication acknowledged that James 'gives great guidance and support when navigating the prosecution process in various jurisdictions.'
- James was recommended as a leading individual in prosecution in the IAM Patent 1000 Guide 2013. James was referred to as: frequently named among the nation’s top life sciences gurus.
- James has been listed in The Best Lawyers® in Australia 2016 and 2015 guides for Biotechnology Law and Intellectual Property Law.
- James was listed as a one of ’50 Patent Lawyers you should know’ by Asia IP magazine.
Latest articles authored by James Cherry- IAM Patent 1000 Affirms Freehills Patent Attorneys as "Highly Recommended" for Patent Prosecution in 2016 - Four partners of Freehills Patent Attorneys have been declared Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars for 2016 - SEVEN FREEHILLS PATENT ATTORNEYS PARTNERS LISTED IN THE BEST LAWYERS® IN AUSTRALIA
View all articles authored by James Cherry