With over 25 years in practice, Chris has extensive experience in the fields of electrical and electronic engineering, computer hardware and software, and medical technology. Working with local and overseas clients, from start-ups to established companies, he drafts and prosecutes patent applications, develops patent opposition strategies, and advises on patent validity, infringement and freedom to operate matters.
Chris’ specialist areas of expertise include medical devices and diagnostics, endoprosthetics, image and audio signal processing (including tomography), physics, digital telecommunications, electromechanical power switching and control, software and e-commerce, automotive engineering, manufacturing and processing, offshore engineering and hydraulic systems, and construction and building.
Chris works closely with clients to develop bespoke IP strategies for their businesses, always keeping industry context and the commercial landscape front of mind. With his mastery of several European languages, experience in international transactions and IP licensing, and background in engineering, he offers clients a unique blend of technical expertise, industry insight and versatility.
Chris has spent a large part of his early career assisting universities and research institutes in substantial R&D endeavours. Through obtaining and consolidating IP protection, he has laid the groundwork for the commercial success of countless projects.
Capitalising on his background in engineering, Chris then became a patent examiner at the European Patent Office, where he developed a keen interest in using the law as a tool to support innovation. He then spent six years working in the patents department of a leading technology transfer organisation in the United Kingdom, before relocating to Australia in 1998.
As well as being a registered Trans-Tasman Patent Attorney, Chris is also a UK and European Patent Attorney.
He has authored many articles on aspects of patent law, and has been invited to speak by a large number of organisations on topics of intellectual property law and practice.
- Named a ‘highly recommended’ individual by IAM Patent 1000, 2022
- Ranked as a ‘Patent Star’ by IP Stars, Managing Intellectual Property, 2018-2020, 2022
- Bachelor of Engineering Science (Hons), Oxford University
- Master of Sciences (Intellectual Property Law), Queen Mary & Westfield College, University of London
- Registered Trans-Tasman Patent Attorney
- Registered UK Patent Attorney
- Registered European Patent Attorney
- Fellow, Institute of Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA)
- Fellow, UK Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- European Patent Institute (EPI)