Why Southeast Asia?
The statistics tell the story as to why multinational companies see Southeast Asia as a significant emerging market.
- GDP of almost USD 2.6 trillion in 2016 and growth of 5%
- >600 million population representing 9% of the world’s population (Refer to ASEAN statistics)
- In 2015, ASEAN was the fourth biggest recipient of foreign direct investment (USD 120 billion)
Unlike Europe and other economic regions, Southeast Asia is multi-jurisdictional. There is no regional patent. And that raises the question – how best to manage a patent portfolio across the region?
Should you use one firm having offices across the region? If you do, will you have access to the best people in each country? In a market of more than 600 million people, what is the likelihood that one firm will have the best people across all technologies?
Or do you engage with the best firms in each country? You may well get the best people, but how many multiple outside counsel relationships do you want to manage?
Our clients tell us that our solution to these conflicting needs is the answer.
We are the conduit between the best Southeast Asian patent attorneys and our clients.
We give you the best people in Southeast Asia and with our experience in regional coordination, we shoulder all aspects of the load of managing multiple outside counsel relationships and delivery of outside counsel services across the region.
What is the client benefit to using FPA?
Our services in Southeast Asia are client-tailored solutions, so the perceived benefits vary from client to client. Here are a few:
- Unparalleled time and cost efficiency: We know the local laws, we know how to avoid or cut through the red tape, we know how to get a patent application accepted with a minimum of aggravation and cost to the client. Plus the client benefits from our buying power.
- Consistency: Consistency of claim scope, consistency of approach, consistency of service and consistency of report and clear communication from FPA.
- Convenience: We manage all aspects of delivery of outside counsel services so that you only have to engage with one firm in the region. Our firm.
- A safe pair of hands and access to our network of top tier firms across Southeast Asia: We have heavily invested in our relationships with local attorneys and our knowledge base to ensure we deliver the best possible outcome for clients, all backed by the high level of FPA service and reliability we are known for.
Why an Australian firm?
Location: Southeast Asia is approximately 12-14 hours ahead of the USA East and West coast. Contrast this with Australia which is within the Southeast Asian time zone. Our people are working when Southeast Asia is working. We have presence in the moment.
Your Australian patent as the foundation for Southeast Asia: The efficiency of our approach arises from reliance by the Southeast Asian patent offices on a corresponding granted Australian patent. The flexibility under Australian law in respect of subject matter that can be claimed and different claim formats permitted therefore enables us to develop a claim strategy for the Australian case that can be readily adapted to comply with the patent law of each Southeast Asian country.
Practical expertise: We embed our dedicated client teams with individuals having the relevant country-specific expertise demanded by the client and we have a demonstrated experience in regional coordination of patent firms.
If you are interested in a tailored solution to management of your patent portfolio in Southeast Asia, contact us.