Senior Associate, Melbourne | BA, BSc (Hons), PhD, MIP Law
Direct +61 3 8662 7353
As a Patent Attorney with FPA Patent Attorneys, Sarah specialises in IP matters for the pharmaceutical and life sciences sectors. Sarah’s current practice includes drafting applications for local and international clients as well as prosecuting Australian and foreign patent applications.
Sarah draws on her detailed understanding of the inventions and commercial needs of a number of local clients to efficiently manage their patent portfolios, ensuring a consistent and streamlined approach across multiple jurisdictions.
Her experience extends to all aspects of the patent lifecycle, including the development of detailed strategies and evidence preparation for use in opposition proceedings, Sarah also prepares detailed freedom to operate and validity opinions for her clients.
Sarah completed her PhD at the Bio21 Institute at the University of Melbourne, where she undertook a multi-disciplinary approach to elucidating the evolution and function of a novel family of proteins (transthyretin-like proteins). She then completed three years of postdoctoral research at the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, characterising proteins that modulate sympathetic nervous system activation.
Sarah has published her research findings in a number of peer-reviewed scientific journals including Molecular Psychiatry, The Journal of Molecular Biology and PLoS One. She has also presented at a number of local and international conferences including the annual meetings of The European Society of Hypertension and The Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution.
Areas of expertise
• Molecular and Cell Biology (microbiology and immunology)
• Biotechnology (including RNA interference technology, genetically modified organisms, recombinant proteins and antibodies)
• Pharmaceuticals (especially for use in disorders of the renal-cardiovascular system)
• Agribusiness and Agrochemicals
• Plant Technology
• Bachelor of Arts (Criminology and History and Philosophy of Science), University of Melbourne
• Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Genetics) (Hons), University of Melbourne
• Doctor of Philosophy (Faculty of Medicine), University of Melbourne and The Bio21 Institute
• Master of Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne
• Registered Patent Attorney (Australia and New Zealand)
• Institute of Patents and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
• Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
• Victorian Infection and Immunity Network - Industry Alliance