The Australian Patent Office will participate in the pilot of the Global Patent Prosecution Highway (Global PPH).
The Global PPH is a new global system of accelerated patent prosecution. The system will allow applicants to request expedited examination where examination has been performed by one of the participating offices and where that participating office has found at least one claim to be allowable. Other requirements also apply.
This system will replace the current patent prosecution highway system between the United States and Australia and effectively expand accelerated prosecution program to encompass more countries.
The following offices will participate:
• Canadian Intellectual Property Office
• Danish Patent and Trademark Office
• National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland
• Japan Patent Office
• Korean Intellectual Property Office
• Nordic Patent Institute
• Norwegian Industrial Property Office
• Portuguese Institute of Industrial Property
• Russian Federal Service for Intellectual Property
• Spanish Patent and Trademark Office
• United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office
• United States Patent and Trademark Office.
There are provisions for other patent offices to join at a later time.
The Global PPH is set to commence on 6 January 2014.
In view of the examination delays due to a backlog of examination requests made before commencement of the Intellectual Property Laws Amendment (Raising the Bar) Act 2012, the Global PPH may provide a useful option to speed up examination of important patent applications.