Senior Associate , Melbourne | BSc(Hons), B'Tech (Forens & Analyt Chem), PhD (Organic Chemistry), MIP Law
Direct +61 3 8662 7358
Milena specialises in IP matters for the pharmaceutical, chemical science and FMCG sectors. She assists her clients, including leading companies and universities in Australia, New Zealand, the US, Europe and Canada with commercially relevant advice and support at all stages of the patent life cycle.
This includes providing Freedom to Operate advice, drafting and prosecuting patent applications (both in Australia and overseas), obtaining patent term extensions, and providing pre- and post-grant strategic advice. Milena is particularly interested, and has had extensive experience, in the post-allowance and post-grant space where she has been an integral part of numerous complex opposition, re-examination and litigation proceedings.
Milena achieved First Class Honours for her investigations into the structure-activity relationships between the UDP glucuronosyltransferase (UGT) family of enzymes and their substrates. Milena joined FPA in 2008 following completion of her PhD in synthetic organic chemistry, in which Milena developed novel, stereoselective routes towards the synthesis of complex natural products.
Areas of expertise
• Organic Chemistry
• Chemical and Materials Engineering
• Food Technology
• Analytical Chemistry
• Industrial Chemistry
• Doctor of Philosophy (Organic Chemistry), Flinders University of South Australia
• Bachelor of Science (First Class Honours, Biochemistry), Flinders University of South Australia
• Bachelor of Technology (Forensic and Analytical Chemistry), Flinders University of South Australia
• Master of Intellectual Property Law, University of Melbourne
• Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
• Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
• Victorian Branch of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (Secretary)